Here in the northern rivers we do not have a public transport system that connects people to the places we want and need to be. We lost our train service 15 years ago and we are left with inefficient outdated bus services that do not properly connect us. The Nationals/Liberal Government have failed to take concrete steps to fix the Northern Rivers’ transport mess left by Labor’s short-sighted decision to abandon our railway line.
“I have received numerous representations, petitions and pleas from members of the community advocating to get a train of sorts back on our tracks and those who would prefer the rail corridor converted into a rail trail. All advocates of train and trail make great cases and points of which I agree with. We should have a fully functional public transport system that connects us and the places we need to be and that brings our coastal visitors to our heart. We should have beautiful bike paths and scenic trails where those who love to walk and ride, wherever they come from, can do so.” Sue Higginson
The Greens Integrated Public Transport Plan will:
1. Develop a comprehensive Public Transport System across and beyond the Northern Rivers, to improve the movement of our communities and our touring visitors through our Region.
2. Build the Public Transport System on principles of accessibility, safety, affordability, efficiency, sustainability and tourism opportunity and including trains, light rail, electric buses, car sharing, cycleways and walkways.
3. Retain land currently designated as Rail Corridor as public land for the purpose of the Public Transport System.
4. Retain existing rail tracks and rail infrastructure in situ until the Public Transport System is designed, approved and funded.
5. Promote the Rail Corridor as the key link between villages that then offer settlement options including affordable housing.