Our public health system faces many challenges.
Current investment in our public health system is not commensurate to the needs of our communities.
The Liberal/National government is refusing to implement safe nurse to patient ratios and Labor are only committed to providing ratios in some hospitals.
In addtion, birthing centres have been closed down in many regional towns
The NSW Greens plan for our health system includes:
- Full support for safe patient ratios for nurses and midwives.
- Babies are our communities future and need to be a priority, they count in safe ratios.
- Support for midwife to patient ratios of 1:3 in postnatal (minimum) and publicly funded access for all women to a lactation consultant in all maternity wards.
- Hospitals across the region to be included in the safe patient to nurse ratios and upgraded infrastructure and services.
- Provide 24 hour security staff at all hospitals, not just Lismore and Murwillumbah.
- Secure the future of the Murwillumbah Hospital.
- Introduce healthy eating promotional programs.
- All hospitals adopt sustainability index and waste reduction.
- All hospitals be solar equipped