Under successive Coalition and Labor Government education has become a right of the wealthy.
TAFE has been gutted our public schools in many respects are substandard and tertiary education is unaffordable for many. Public schools in Australia are $1.9 billion worse off in 2018/9.
The Greens are committed to:
- Full reinstatement of funding for TAFE. Read more here
- Rebuilding our Lismore, Wollongbar, Murwillumbah, Kyogle and Tenterfield TAFE’s into strong properly resourced actual learning centres (not virtual).
- Cool Solar Schools- all our public schools must be properly airconditioned and solar powered. The schools that need air con in all, part or renewed are: Bexhill Public School; Collins Creek Public School; Drake Public School; Modanville Public School; Sir Henry Parkes Memorial Public School; Tenterfield High School; The Rivers Secondary College Kadina Campus; and Woodenbong Central.
- Making sure class sizes are reasonable and there are more teachers to assist with learning needs. We will ensure class sizes are reduced to a maximum of 20 students for years K-2, 25 for years 3-12, and limited to 20 for practical subjects including science.
- Increasing the number of school counsellors, specialist teachers for students with learning difficulties, specialist ESL Teachers, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander education support staff, and resources for children with special needs, to meet the need for their services.